The Louis Berger Group is committed to quality service, leadership, and excellence in our industry while maintaining high standards of ethical conduct. Our genuine commitment to responsibility and sustainability is integral to delivering long-term benefits to all of our stakeholders—from our customers, employees, business partners, and affiliates to the communities in which we operate. Passion in these endeavors is one of our core values—we are passionate about our ability to improve lives in the communities we serve and to promote the sustainability of our planet. Guiding our behavior in these endeavors is our Vision and Values Statement.
Additionally, our Code of Business Conduct provides standards by which our corporate officers, managers, and professionals must conduct themselves to protect and promote company-wide integrity and trust. When we abide by the principles of our code, we enhance our company’s ability to achieve its mission and demonstrate our commitment to our customers, our partners, and each other.
The Louis Berger Group embraces:
- A Commitment to Ethics
- Environmental Responsibility
- Health and Safety
- Respecting and Promoting Diversity
- Giving Back
Our Work Benefits the World
The Louis Berger Group’s mission is to improve physical, social, and economic infrastructure around the world and to operate with integrity and responsibility in all that we do. Our work improves the lives of the people it serves, from reconstruction of transportation networks to economic development and from the protection of our natural resources to power generation.
A Commitment to Ethics
Conducting all our business activities with honesty and integrity is paramount to everything we do at The Louis Berger Group. Our company depends on our people to conduct themselves responsibly, ethically, lawfully, and with good moral judgment. Only in this way will we enhance the honor, reputation, and benefit of our employees, our profession, and our firm.
At The Louis Berger Group, we draw inspiration from the efficiency of natural systems. This “less is more” approach to the natural world is how we value, measure, and implement sustainable strategies. Our approach is manifested through our planning and designing of efficient systems and our firm’s seamless, collaborative, and integrated management across disciplines, geographies, and all scales of work.
We will continuously define, promote, and implement sustainable practices for which we can be held accountable, both within our firm and by our customers, vendors, and subcontractors. Among the high standards we aspire to are those published under the Ceres Principles for corporate environmental conduct:
- Protection of the Biosphere
- Sustainable Use of Natural Resources
- Reduction and Disposal of Wastes
- Energy Conservation
- Risk Reduction
- Safe Products and Services
- Environmental Restoration
- Informing the Public
- Management Commitment
- Audits and Reports
We expect all of our employees to be cognizant of environmental issues. Employees with responsibilities in any of these areas should know the standards relevant to their practice areas.
As part of our commitment to respect, preserve, and improve the environment, The Louis Berger Group will:
- conduct our services in an environmentally responsible manner;
- comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, company policies, and professional standards of good industry practices; and
- encourage employees to report (confidentially, if they wish to) any condition that may pose an environmental, health, or safety hazard.
Health and Safety
Our employees are our most important assets. Health and safety are more than policies at The Louis Berger Group; they are the basis for how we work in the field and in our offices. We are committed to striving for a safe and healthful work place, free of recognized hazards. We strive to integrate safety and health into every aspect of our organization and involve employees at every level in establishing, implementing, and elevating our efforts.
Respecting and Promoting Diversity
Like the clients we serve, The Louis Berger Group is diverse, both in our practice areas and in our employee makeup. We leverage that diversity and the valuable differences among people and their ideas, to provide our clients with integrated and multidisciplinary solutions. The company’s policy is to recruit, hire, train, and promote, employees without discriminating unlawfully on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, physical or mental disability/handicap, marital status, sexual orientation, status of citizenship, or any other legally protected status. We treat our business partners with the same respect.
Driven by our mission to improve and sustain physical, social, and economic infrastructure worldwide, we are committed to using our expertise to give back in various ways, from participating in our donation-matching program to becoming involved with our local communities.
Donation-Matching Program. The Louis Berger Group and our employees have a long history of giving back in times of need. We offer employees a dollar-for-dollar matching donation program to extend the reach and impact of their generosity. Our employee-matching efforts have benefitted the following recipients:
- The American Red Cross and the New York Police and Fire Widow and Children Benefit Fund, after September 11, 2001;
- Aceh Ocean Coral, an Indonesian nongovernmental organization, after the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004;
- Oxfam International, after we matched employee contributions throughout the holiday season of 2009;
- The American Red Cross, after the devastating earthquake in Haiti in January 2010;
- The American Red Cross, following Superstorm Sandy's disastrous sweep of the northeastern US in October 2012.
Community Outreach and Support. We have the opportunity and privilege to work in communities around the world. Consequently, we feel connected to the world around us, and this connection extends to where and how we give back. Some of our community outreach includes:
- sponsorship of poker tournaments for wounded soldiers at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center outside Washington, DC;
- sponsorship of employee participation in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure;
- sponsorship of a soccer program for disadvantaged youth in Panama.
One way we embody our commitment to giving back to the community is by performing pro bono services where we work. We actively encourage the adoption of this philosophy by our employees, and their activities have ranged from preparation of landscape plans and work on public parks in North Carolina to the development of a design for the campus of the American University of Afghanistan, the country’s only private, not-for-profit institution of higher education.
Additionally, The Louis Berger Group has significant expertise in supporting the public and private sectors after natural disasters and other emergencies around the world, and we often offer voluntary services to assist in such times of need. An example of this voluntary service is the infrastructure assessment that a five-person team of our employees conducted for 10 days in Haiti in February 2010.
Support for Education. Within the broader scope of our company and employee giving, education is one of our special focus areas. Our support for education around the world includes:
- Sponsorship of fellowship and internship programs around the world, from Rutgers University in New Jersey to Kabul University and the American University of Afghanistan;
- Construction of a school in Afghanistan and donations of books and schools supplies to furnish it;
- Partnership with the University of Panama to develop a Master’s of Applied Environmental Management Program