The Queens Museum in New York City won a MASterworks best adaptive reuse award from the Municipal Art Society (MAS) of New York City.
In 2011, with Ammann & Whitney serving as architect of record and structural engineer for the museum’s expansion project, the Queens Museum broke ground on a major renovation project to expand into the adjacent ice rink and refresh the aesthetics of interior and exterior spaces.
The two-year expansion doubled the museum’s interior space, allowing for a new central gallery that featured open space for large-scale artwork, special event spaces, seven additional galleries, a café and bookstore, office spaces, and storage facilities. A new façade was built with a sculpture-like metal entry canopy, a series of glass panels running the length of the building, and LED backlighting, serving as a beacon for passersby.
The space the museum occupies was originally built to house the New York City Pavilion of the 1939 World’s Fair. It served as the first home of the United Nations General Assembly from 1946 to 1950 and was converted to the Queens Museum in 1972. It is the only remaining building from the 1939 World’s Fair.
The MASterworks Awards, hosted annually by the Municipal Art Society, recognize projects that exemplify excellence in architecture and urban design and make a significant contribution to New York’s built environment.