The Queens Museum in New York City won an award of merit for adaptive reuse/historic preservation from the American Institute of Architects, New York State (AIANYS).
In 2011, the Queens Museum broke ground on a major renovation project to expand into the adjacent ice rink and refresh the aesthetics of interior and exterior spaces, and Ammann & Whitney served as architect of record and structural engineer for the museum’s expansion project.
The two-year expansion doubled the museum’s interior space, allowing for a new central gallery that featured open space for large-scale artwork, special event spaces, seven additional galleries, a café and bookstore, office spaces, and storage facilities. A new façade was built with a sculpture-like metal entry canopy, a series of glass panels running the length of the building, and LED backlighting, serving as a beacon for passersby.
The space the museum occupies was originally built to house the New York City Pavilion of the 1939 World’s Fair. Unlike most structures built for the occasion, the building was designed as a permanent facility. It served as the first home of the United Nations General Assembly from 1946 to 1950 and again housed displays for the 1964 World’s Fair. Converted to the Queens Museum in 1972, it is the only remaining building from the 1939 World’s Fair.
The AIA New York State has recognized outstanding works of architecture through its Design Awards Program each year since 1968. The program was instituted to celebrate, honor and promote excellence in design by New York state architects for their creativity and imagination in solving design problems for their clients and to generate greater public interest in architecture.